Ask The Attorney: My Paychecks Have Bounced. What Do I Do?

An answer to the question of when your paychecks bounce, what recourses do you have?

Dear Ask the Attorney:

Recently I was laid off from my job.  My last paycheck was mailed to me and when I tried to deposit it, it was returned for insufficient funds.  I contacted my employer and he replaced the check with a new one, but that one also was returned.  This is not the first time this has happened but at the time I was still employed with the company and he always made good on the check.  Now, he won’t even take my call. 

What should I do?


Our guest blogger is once again, Andrew S. Berns, Esq. who is Chair of Einhorn Harris, Ascher Barbarito & Frost, PC’s commercial litigation practice which includes employment law, small and closely held business representation, personal injury, workers' compensation and construction litigation matters; Mr. Berns is also the Chairman of the New Jersey State Ethics Commission.

Dear BZ: 

You can file an administrative action with the NJ Department of Labor online to report the employer and to seek to have the State agency compel your former employer to provide payment for the services you rendered.  Under N.J. law, in addition to the liability of the employer entity, the owners and officers of the company may be personally liable to satisfy the outstanding amount you are owed.

In addition to filing a formal complaint with the Dept. of Labor, you should consider speaking with an attorney who specializes in employment law.  A professional will advise you of your rights and responsibilities to insure you get what you are entitled to.

Keep in mind that although the employer is personally liable, going after him or her and pursuing this matter through legal channels takes time and patience!

Andrew S. Berns, Esq.

“Ask the Attorney” is a blog in which answers to your legal questions submitted to asktheattorney@einhornharris.com may be answered. The answers to the questions are posted every Thursday and are for informational purposes only and are not to be construed as legal advice or the creation of an attorney-client relationship. The facts of each case is different, therefore you should seek competent legal representation.

This post is contributed by a community member. The views expressed in this blog are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Patch Media Corporation. Everyone is welcome to submit a post to Patch. If you'd like to post a blog, go here to get started.

hongfeng2 December 27, 2012 at 03:56 AM
http://www.coachoutletonlinebfd.com/ Coach Outlet Online http://www.guccibeltstb.com/ Gucci Belt http://www.coachoutletonlineyds.net/ Coach Outlet Store Online sa http://www.cocoachoutletonline.org/ Coach Outlet Online http://www.coachoutletonlinetsy.net/ Coach Online Outlet


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »