Faulty Furnace Fills Home With Smoke, Displaces Family, Cops Say

No residents were inside when police entered home on East Springtown Road.

An East Springtown Road home was overtaken by smoke after a furnace malfunctioned when the homeowners were gone.

According to Washington Township Police, Officer Dan Parrish was on patrol at 10:22 p.m. on Jan. 18 when he came upon 24 East Springtown Road, and saw a large amount of smoke coming from the house.

Parrish checked the area and found smoke coming from the chimney area and roofline of the residence, Lt. Mark Niemynski said. Cpl. Robert Oranchak and Sgt. Jeff Almer both arrived on scene to find smoke billowing from the roofline and eaves of the house, Niemynski said.

As the Long Valley Fire Company was en route, the three officers entered the home to search for occupants, Niemynski said. No persons were found, and Almer was able to find the source of smoke – a malfunctioning furnace on the first floor, which he shut down. 

The residents were forced to stay elsewhere, Niemynski said, due to smoke damage inside the residence and lack of heat in the house.

No one was injured.

For questions about this post, email jason.koestenblatt@patch.com.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »